Approaching your golden years? If so, money may be on your mind. After all, CNBC reports that over 15% of retirees don’t have enough saved up to enjoy their golden years. If this sounds like you, never fear! Here, Job Searching Strategies shares ideal jobs for seniors and easy ways to find work today. Let’s dive right in below.
Ideal Jobs For Seniors
According to research by Globe and Mail, over 45% of seniors continue to work while retired. What kind of jobs do these older adults partake in? Keep reading for some ideas:
- Pet sitting: taking care of animals is proven to boost endorphins but is also a fun way to make money if you love hanging out with animals.
- Delivering meals: this is an excellent job for seniors because it allows them to help others while staying active and getting some exercise.
- Teaching: many colleges and universities offer part-time teaching opportunities, which can be a great way to stay intellectually challenged and earn a little extra money. Teaching also allows seniors to share their knowledge and experience with younger generations.
- Library assistant: this is an excellent job for seniors because it’s usually a calm environment that allows them to help others.
- Volunteering: there are many different types of volunteering opportunities available; no matter your skills – in organizing, filing, poster making, or caretaking, there is sure to be something out there that fits your needs!
How to Find a Job
Did you know that two in four seniors struggle with using technology? If that sounds like you, know it is possible to find a job without relying too heavily on technology. The first place to look is in the newspaper – specifically, in the classified section. You can also look online, but many websites require you to create an account.
Another option is to go to your local job fair, where businesses will be on the hunt for new talent. Be sure to network with local professionals at such events, as they will be the key to finding your next job or growing your business. While your days as an intern may be behind you, inquire about part-time or consultancy roles that may be available. Lastly, don’t forget the importance of word-of-mouth spread! If you’re looking for a new job, let your friends and family know about it. This way, they’ll be able to refer you or put you to someone who may be able to help you.
Starting Your Own Business
If you’ve always had an entrepreneurial spirit, starting your own business may be your way forward. After all, seniors typically thrive in entrepreneurship because they have the skills, experience, and time to succeed! This will also help you majorly supplement your retirement income.
When you’re starting your own business, be sure to do some research into different niches and target markets you could enter. In addition, it will be critical to set yourself up for success by writing out (and following) a business plan. Forming an LLC in Pennsylvania will be another essential, as it will offer tax advantages, little paperwork, and increased flexibility. You can also avoid hefty lawyer fees by using a formation service or filing yourself.
Start Your New Career Adventure
Ready to take the work world by storm? Although it may seem daunting to enter new fields or find new jobs, the good news is that there has never been a better time to do so. From pet-sitting to starting a new business, the world is your oyster!
For all the job search advice and tips you need to succeed, visit Job Searching Strategies today!